the basics - cutting corners

the basics - cutting corners

When I'm working on a piece that I really want to be perfect, cutting out corners are my nemesis. Sometimes I cut too far or not far enough. I'd rather have the latter problem. Cutting too far on the other hand is something that bothers me to no end.

See the V-like cut at the tip of the triangle (exaggerated for this post)? That's what I'm talking about and it's a big pet peeve of mine.

the basics - cutting corners

The easiest way that I know of dealing with this, is to cut along the orange line first and get as close to the corners as I can. Then I cut along the blue lines toward the cut I've made first. The blue lines are larger here (so you can actually see them) but in reality the amount I cut is minimal—barely a couple of millimeters.

the basics - cutting corners

Sometimes I've been known to give the paper a little tug. The danger here is when you assume that you've but enough for the piece to come off easily. Oh the fury when I tear the paper!

the basics - cutting corners

By the way, if you happen to have a little V-cut that you just can't work around (ie. trimming the shape a bit more) you can always give the paper a little rub with your nail or a burnisher. With the rubbing, if the paper is thick, the fibers will move a bit and cover the cuts.

So how do you deal with corners? Any tips to share?

• • •

If you have a certain question or issue that you'd like me to address in The Basics just let me know in the comments below or email me. I'm always on the hunt for new tips to spread!

No comments:

Post a Comment