a lot of effort, a lot of love

Yesterday was a first. I made a summer dress for my little C. It's something I've been wanting to do for a very long time.

I let little C pick the fabric and the pattern. I knew it was going to be a lot of work and I wanted to be sure she'd wear it. She was going for pink and frilly but fortunately she stayed on the subdued side. It was really interesting to see her narrow down the choices for fabric. She immediately discarded that had "too many" of anything. We could've gone on a more extended hunt for the perfect fabric but time was of the essence. She was very excited and wanted me to start the dress right away. So did I. Little C isn't much of a dress person (just like her Mom at the same age), so I had to strike while the iron was hot.



I had a surprise flashback as I was gathering the skirt. It was something I hadn't thought about in so long. When I was little I had a yellow toy sewing machine. It was tiny, but it worked. I recalled, rather vividly, that one time I pulled on a thread and gathered the fabric by accident. It was an aha! moment. I immediately thought that that would be the best way to make a gathered skirt or dress for my dolls and I went for it. I don't remember what I made. However, I do remember having the presence of mind to baste/gather with a different thread color, so that it would be easier to pull it out once the permanent sewing was complete. I was about eight or nine.



The huge mistake I made may already be evident for those of you with a good eye. I was about to start the hemming, basically one step away from finishing, when I realized that I attached the skirt on upside down. @#$%!!! I was devastated. After a lot of back and forth, I decided to tell my little C what had happened, and let her decide what I should do. My sweet C told me she didn't care and she'd wear it as is. I could've just died. What a sweetheart. The imperfection makes me cringe, but I'm respecting her choice and in all honesty my back and patience level couldn't take any.more.sewing!

I got thanked with lots of kisses and hugs. Best of all my little C says she feels like a princess in her dress and she happily wore it to church today. Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment