who would've thought

I have a full plate today so I really shouldn't even be here but I thought I'd share a few photos of a spontaneous project.

A little background on my thrifting experience first. I've only done it twice in my life: once in college, because I was in need of cheap materials for a school project and the second time was about 2 months ago. I had an idea for a lamp project and wanted to experiment on something that I could mess around with and not feel guilty about it. I invested a whole $4 on a lamp and painted it with primer (originally the lamp was an awful shiny dark blue). That's as far as I've gotten with the project. The funny thing is that even though this traditional shape isn't something that I'd typically buy I'm actually using the lamp.

Yesterday, as I was reading with Little C, I saw the lamp again, I thought about my pending project (one of so many!) and had a fleeting thought. I wondered if I could draw on the matte paint using chalk. I gave it a shot and it worked. Even little C got into the action and drew a bunch of rainbows (she erased them before I could get a photo taken). The paint did get a little scratched with all the writing so now I'm very tempted to just buy chalk paint and forget about the original idea I had when I purchased the lamp.

As is usual with chalk, none of these took more than 5 seconds to complete. It'll be fun to change the look on a whim. Sorry about the blurry photos. I took them last night, I didn't want to use the flash and I was too lazy to pull out my tripod. ;)





It could go on and on...

19 comments:

  1. That's amazing! You are a brilliant lady! Chalkboard lamp, who woulda though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Are you using those chalk-markers? Those are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks mel and lori!

    jenni - to be honest with you I don't know what chalk-markers are. I just used regular chalk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo! Zigns, the name of the chalk markers by Zig are made for use on glass, mirrors, menu boards and chalkboards. All the coffee places like Starbucks use them and lots of delis, too. I just got mine in an art & craft supply store near the art pens. They're not cheap, but they mark really smoothly and cleanly and you don't have the chalk dust problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So smart! I didn't think to use this with black paint - I've seen blackboard paint in home shows but always on a wall!

    You're lamps are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I have such a hard time choosing lamps because I know I'll get bored with them. This is the perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say that creativity was well worth the $4 you invested! The zipper one is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's beautiful! I thought you used paint and when I read your blog, it's just chalk. Very innovative! I am loving all of it, especially the leaves and the tree branches, really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These lamsp are gorgeous. The others are fab but the one that made me laugh was the zipper one - just fantastic. such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. dang! that's a cool idea. really nice drawings too.
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok how FUN is that! wow -- very creative and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantastic. Our entryway is painted with lovely chalkboard paint and we adore it. I love the idea of doing objects though! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cassi @ http://belladia.typepad.comDec 5, 2007, 1:34:00 PM

    That. is. brilliant! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm about to start a project with chalkboard paint. My truly ugly previous owner's diy closet doors. Martha Stewart has a recipe on her site for making your own chalkboard paint. Don't know how it works, but I always trust Martha( except when I don't). Now I'm looking around for more stuff to paint. Love that lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this!!! SO versatile, fit for any style preference, I think! I think the zipper is my fave! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great idea! I have a couple of black terracotta lamps..just need to buy some chalks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome idea! Such an elegant looking lamp without much expense - you have a great imagination, I would never have thought of doing something like this. If it's not right in front of my face, I can't dream it up! Thanks for the tips, I have the perfect lamp for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did this! I've been meaning to come back and comment for awhile. I had a friend coming to visit from England for Christmas and the new year and I made this for the guest room. Before she arrived my husband and I covered it with welcome/so glad you're here messages. It's a big hit with anyone that stays in there. I've been thinking about having my mom help me make two lamps for our bedroom (she's a potter) and instead of glazing them just painting them with blackboard paint straight away. Then my husband and I could leave love messages for each other in the bedroom. ;^)

    ReplyDelete